Considered to be the best-preserved medieval Royal Palace in Portugal, the Sintra National Palace is located centrally in the town of Sintra Portugal. As a consequence of its prominent location, Palácio da Vila or “Town Palace”, as the National Palace is called, is the first of Sintra’s numerous attractions that many visitors encounter.
The National Palace owes its preservation to careful restoration and its near continuous occupation from the early 15th century to the late 19th century. In 1910, at the end of the Portuguese monarchy, the palace was declared a national monument. After a major restoration in the 1940s, Sintra National Palace was opened to tourists. Today, nearly a half million visitors tour the palace each year.
Sintra National Palace is a designated part of Sintra’s UNESCO World Heritage site.